Like any information that accompanies your product, whether literally or online, you always want your technical content to be up there with the best. Whether you develop it for customer satisfaction, safety, or marketing reasons, listening to the user is key. Now, it is important to keep in mind that this user is not Procurement, ICT, nor project or line management: it is that person whose job involves your product and hence your documentation.
To get more insight into your user’s behavior, you most probably have data at your disposal. To complement those data with more qualitative insights, you could use this questionnaire. This questionnaire speaks directly to the end-user of your product and, hopefully, to the end-user of your documentation. The goal of the questions is to learn more about the actual users, their work environment, and to hear straight from the source where improvements can be made. The questions are divided into three categories: findable, usable, and likeable.
Do you like to work with the technical information?
In the previous posts we looked at findability and usability. In the final part of the questionnaire, we ask more subjective questions. Is the technical information user-friendly, attractive and/or marketable? In short: “Do you like it?”
- How do you navigate a document?
- Is it easy to navigate a document?
- How do you find the answer to a specific question?
- Do you quickly find an answer?
- Would you say the documents you use the most do not have enough/okay/too much information?
- What would make a document more user-friendly to you?
- Would you call our documentation portal (or equivalent) appealing?
- Do you recommend the docs to colleagues?
- Would you say the documentation matches the reputation of our company and product?
- Do you recommend the docs to colleagues learning about our product?
- Do you feel that documentation is an important part of the product?
- How does our documentation compare to documentation with other products?
- Would you be prepared to pay a fee for information services (e.g., chatbot or video) or learning opportunities?
This questionnaire in Excel
Would you like the full questionnaire in Excel, with scoring method? Contact Flow.